Interesting Points from Kubecon/Native con 2017
Full Playlist can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3aBWkNXnhw&list=PLj6h78yzYM2P-3-xqvmWaZbbI1sW-ulZb
Cloud Native Landscape: https://github.com/cncf/landscape
- Keynote: Can 100 Million Developers Use Kubernetes?
- Kubernetes: This Job is Too Hard: Building New Tools, Patterns and Paradigms to Democratize
- Weaving the Service Mesh
- Microservices, Service Mesh, and CI/CD Pipelines: Making It All Work Together
- Developing Locally with Kubernetes
- State of Serverless
- Keynote: What’s Next? Getting Excited about Kubernetes in 2018
- Keynote: Manage the App on Kubernetes
Keynote: Can 100 Million Developers Use Kubernetes?
- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21l8v6eObcc
- Summary: Talk is more philosophical rather than technical; thinking about who are going to be the new users of the Kubernetes platform etc (youths etc) - how to get such people understand and learn cloud primitives
- Mention about Open Faas: https://github.com/openfaas/faas
- Mention about Minio: https://www.minio.io/
Kubernetes: This Job is Too Hard: Building New Tools, Patterns and Paradigms to Democratize
- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCQfFXSHSxw
- Summary: Raise a view where it is really quite difficult to
- Mention about metaparticle project: https://metaparticle.io/
Weaving the Service Mesh
- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEllbmRI8U
- Summary: Overview of the Istio Service Mesh Project
- Nice Service Mesh Features
- Traffic Control
- Policy Enforcement
- Zero Code Change
Microservices, Service Mesh, and CI/CD Pipelines: Making It All Work Together
- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLG_qUyCgM
- Summary: Overview of how to have a such a pipeline to develop and deploy applications quickly and the tools that can be used to do so.
- Kashti - A dashboard project built on top of Brigade: https://github.com/Azure/kashti
Developing Locally with Kubernetes
- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W6O_pfA00s
- Summary: How to introduce Kubernetes to developers seeing that Kubernetes is more of a ops tool rather than a developer tool
State of Serverless
- List of Serverless Platforms out there…
- Apache Openwhisk: https://openwhisk.apache.org/
- AWS Lambda: https://aws.amazon.com/lambda/
- Google Cloud Functions: https://cloud.google.com/functions/
- Kubeless: http://kubeless.io/
- Fission: http://fission.io/
- Nuclio: https://nuclio.io/
- Iron Functions http://open.iron.io/
- Openfaas https://www.openfaas.com/
Keynote: What’s Next? Getting Excited about Kubernetes in 2018
- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUnD9SJDgo8
- Build Faster, Smarter, Better
- Inspiration from the Ruby on Rails community - Make it very easier to just add one more thing to an application to make the application more useful quicker.
- The Year of the Service Mesh. Making the microservices easier to get it up. Handle the harder parts of distribution applications
- Make Data Workloads Easier
- Making it easier to deploy Machine Learning Applications on the Kubernetes platform
- GPU support?
- Integrating Serverless Natively?
- Apache Openwhisk
- Some common patterns
- Event driven
- Simple build
- Fast start up
- Defining apps via configurations tools (Improve app and kube configurations)
- app-def-wg (App Definitions Working Group)
- Change how we operate
- Extensible and security identities
- Container identity working group
- Extensible and security identities
- Policy, Multi-tenancy, Integration
- Open Policy Agent
- Better container runtimes/VM
- Interesting Projects…
Keynote: Manage the App on Kubernetes
- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul624nYC8pw
- Questions to answer:
- What app types are there? Versions?
- What app instances are deployed? How many? Where?
- What is the app instance health? How much does it cost?
- Who are the app owners? Who gets paged?
- What CI pipelines associate with each app?
- Some of the resources in an attempt to have this (Spreadsheet, App Wiki, Tribal Knowledge)
- Create a shared toolkit
- App Catalog
- App Types
- App Versions
- App Instances